It is common at the beginning of the new year to think about ways that you can improve yourself, whether it be mental, physical, or through goals around careers and relationships. This year, add something new to your docket with resolutions to live more sustainably. It is no secret that living harmoniously with our planet is more crucial than ever, but sometimes it can be hard to know where to start. We have put together a list of sustainable resolutions that are a good way to create a more green, conscious lifestyle.
- Ditch the single-use plastics: upgrade to a reusable water bottle, bring your own mug to the coffee shop and get reusable grocery bags (most stores will give you small discounts for doing this, too!)
- Switch to home-made cleaning products: this is a great way to save money, and reduce the pollution that you are adding to already fragile waterways.
- Check out the options for composting: whether you live rurally or in a city, there are many different ways that you can dispose of your food waste in this more sustainable way. Check out our article here for some composting basics.
- Drive less: try to carpool, take public transportation, and walk or bike if possible (this may just overlap fitness resolutions, too!)
- Watch your energy use: whenever you leave your home, make sure your lights are off, your appliances and chargers are unplugged (this will also save you money!)
- Buy clothes that last: instead of buying the cheaper fast fashion items, get items that will last and are made well.
- Eat less meat and dairy: these items contribute considerably to deforestation, water pollution, methane gas emissions, and more. Small substitutions, such as adding a meatless monday to your meal planning, can make a big difference!
- Use rechargeable batteries: switching from disposable batteries keeps hazardous metal out of landfills, and is also a good way to save money.
We wish you a happy new year, and luck on your sustainable changes as you work towards greener living!